activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 6000 ActiveMQ clients
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:40:32 GMT

On 15 Oct 2008, at 00:16, lawrencek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm designing a system that will have a few central services and
> upward of
> 6000 processes on thousands of machines on a LAN. They all
> communicate using
> ActiveMQ, with the central services having well-known queue names
> and the
> distributed components having randomly-generated queue names. I
> recently
> profiled the broker and found that every queue results in four
> threads (one
> for the queue, one for checkpoint (?), and two for each of two related
> topics (consumer and producer)). Additionally, every connection to the
> broker results in two threads (dispatcher and transport). That means
> that
> each of the 6000 distributed components will result in six threads, or
> 36,000 threads total in the broker. I don't know whether using a
> network of
> brokers will allow me to reduce this to a reasonable number per
> process. I
> also have to worry about the 6000 TCP connections to the broker,
> which could
> also presumably be distributed across a network of brokers.
>
> More generally, though, I'm concerned that ActiveMQ, and really JMS,
> was
> never intended to support this many clients. Perhaps I should use
> JMS only
> for communication amongst the central services, and all communication
> to/from the distributed services should use a simpler RPC scheme.
>
> Does anyone know if ActiveMQ can handle this many clients? What's
> the most
> number of clients anyone has seen on ActiveMQ or JMS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lawrence
>
> --

Hi Lawrence,

ActiveMQ - with some tuning - should be able to handle this load. I'd
recommend looking at using partioning your system (traffic splitting)
with networks of brokers anyway - but to reduce the number of threads
in use do the following:

1. reduce number of threads for connections in the broker use NIO -
see http://activemq.apache.org/configuring-transports.html
2. Use optimizeDispatch in the Queues - see http://activemq.apache.org/per-destination-policies.html

cheers,

Rob