activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Practical limit to number of topics per broker?
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:14:56 GMT
2008/9/14 ErikNabbles <erikwestland@yahoo.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Q: Does anyone know of a practical limit to the number of Topics a broker
> should be expected to handle?
>
> In Gary Tully's advise for
> http://activemq.apache.org/javalangoutofmemory.html avoiding out of memory
> exceptions  he mentions some implications of having a high number of
> destinations:
> "...If there are large numbers of Destinations there will be a large number
> of threads and their associated memory resource usage." There will also be
> kernel and TCP buffer implications as we spin up the number of producers and
> consumers.
>
> To give some rough guidelines for my scenario (per broker):
> - 256 Topics
> - 32/64 Producers
> - 64/128 Consumers (non-durable)
> - 2k/4k messages
> - 250/500 msg/sec
> - Lower latency is better
> - Quad core host with 4GB RAM (64bit linux distro)
> - Reasonably peppy network

That sounds fine; but like any non-trivial software, you should try it
out on your hardware with your exact scenario and see how it performs
for you. I'd start with a single broker and see how that faired first
before trying anything complex like store and forward etc.

You could maybe experiment with the maven performance plugin to get a
quick feel for the performance on your scenario and hardware etc
http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-performance-module-users-manual.html
--
James
-------