activemq-users mailing list archives

From Joe Fernandez <joe.fernan...@ttmsolutions.com>
Subject Re: difference between running ActiveMQ embedded and stand-alone
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:12:02 GMT

An embedded broker executes within the same JVM process as the client(s) that
is using its services. There may be one or more clients residing within a
single JVM, each executing within its own thread of execution; all clients
access the same embedded broker. The clients communicate with the embedded
broker via direct method invocation (DMI) as opposed to serializing command
objects across a TCP/IP-based transport connector.

http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-embed-a-broker-inside-a-connection.html

Unlike an embedded broker, a standalone broker is one that does not have
clients co-residing in its JVM and instead communicates with its clients
through one of the network-based transport connectors.

It is possible to have standalone and embedded brokers communicate with one
another.

Joe
Get a free ActiveMQ user guide @ http://www.ttmsolutions.com