activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using decaf API in user code?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:22:41 GMT
Thanks for the kind words, now to answer your question.

In general the CMS interface in ActiveMQ-CPP is the only portion that
gets close scrutiny for ABI compatibility concerns right now.  That
being said we try not to make to many API changes underneath between
minor versions, however, since the decaf API is still quite immature and
is intended to slowly become more closely aligned with that of the Java
SDK there are some things that will most likely change in the future.
Functions and Classes in decaf are currently being added and changed on
an as needed basis since the real goal is to provide a solid ActiveMQ
client.

In the near term I don't see many changes happening to the Threading
classes in decaf, however down the road I would like to make things a
bit more Java-sih by replacing mutex with the Locks package in the Java
1.5 API.  In general there probably won't be anything nearly as drastic
as the changes that occurred between 2.1 and 2.2.

As decaf matures it would be great if it could be pulled out and made a
sub project of ActiveMQ-CPP so that more attention would be paid to ABI
rules but since its still pretty young that probably won't happen any
time soon.

Regards
Tim.