activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Ryan Moquin" <fragility...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ causes producer to hang when no consumer on topic after a few minutes.
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 03:36:23 GMT
Interesting.  Ok, I have that on, but I don't think I tried without a
consumer in 3.3.  The only problem in that case then, is that if my producer
sends 1300 messages and a consumer receives those 1300 messages, my producer
starts to block in that case as well.  It seems like no matter what, my
producer blocks at either 1100 or 1300 whether or not there is a consumer.
I'm not sure why ActiveMQ never seems to throw a message away.  Since
ActiveMQ seems to hold onto every single message, it seems like the
timetolive should also cause those messages to be killed instead of them
persisting forever.  This behavior explains why if somehow I don't hit the
producer hanging first, under a high load Servicemix will always eventually
run out of memory because ActiveMQ never discards any of the messages on any
of the destinations...  I'm not sure what to do about that either.  People
obviously use ActiveMQ in production, so there has to be some way to rectify
the situation.