activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Ryan Moquin" <fragility...@gmail.com>
Subject ActiveMQ causes producer to hang when no consumer on topic after a few minutes.
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:54:20 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to understand how to configure ActiveMQ (4.1.1 is what Servicemix
is using) properly so that my Servicemix services will stop hanging after a
few minutes of sending messages to a provider endpoint. The ActiveMQ
provider endpoint is consistently deadlocking after a short period of time
(about 10 minutes, 1500 messages).  It appears as though activemq is
configured out of the box (or maybe Servicemix configures it this way) to
persistent every single message in memory whether or not it's been delivered
(or atleast maybe the ones that aren't delivered, not completely sure).
Basically, the messages I'm producing should be thrown away if there is no
consumer.  But currently the messages just pile up on my destination topic
in ActiveMQ until it starts refusing to accept anymore messages.  This
happens extremely quickly, as I mentioned above, when there are no consumers
subscribed to the topic.

I've tried setting the TTL for the messages to 1000, I've tried setting the
deliverymode to non-persistent, but no matter what, my service will
deadlock.  When I look at the topic in the JMX manager, I will see a very
high enqueue count, which I'm assuming means my messages are just sitting
there, waiting for a consumer.  Is there any way to make activemq not keep
these messages around?

Thanks!