activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: distributing legacy code using JMS
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:29:02 GMT
2008/8/28 Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <bofh@redwerk.com>:
> Hello, there!
>
> Can somebody please help me: I recently received the task to distribute legacy
> interface using JMS onto several hosts. This interface consists of many
> methods, some of them are returning byte arrays or input streams, and few ones
> takes output stream as a parameter to store results in.
>
> Currently I am developing the custom solution with a set of commands to handle
> each method of the interface (create appropriate message object, add
> properties of given types etc) - however may be there is some solution,
> similar to Axis, which can generate the code to wrap the interface and provide
> an easy way to distribute execution (client-server) of any interface using
> JMS?
>
> Thank you in advance!

The tricky bit is ensuring that the on-the-wire message formats
correctly match up to the legacy application. There's a number of
solutions out there in general for doing this kind of thing - such as
JAX-WS via say CXF using Web Services with SOAP/XML encoding.

For more custom coding of messages to Java objects you might wanna
experiment with the Spring Remoting support with Camel
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/spring-remoting.html

If you control both ends of the wire, Camel supports trivial remoting
of any Java interface/class; however if the back end is some legacy
system you might want to plugin your own Message Translator so perform
whatever custom encodings your legacy application expects - as there
are many different ways to encode method invocations into
messages/destinations/headers and payloads.
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/message-translator.html

--
James
-------