activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: distributing legacy code using JMS
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:29:02 GMT
2008/8/28 Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <>:
> Hello, there!
> Can somebody please help me: I recently received the task to distribute legacy
> interface using JMS onto several hosts. This interface consists of many
> methods, some of them are returning byte arrays or input streams, and few ones
> takes output stream as a parameter to store results in.
> Currently I am developing the custom solution with a set of commands to handle
> each method of the interface (create appropriate message object, add
> properties of given types etc) - however may be there is some solution,
> similar to Axis, which can generate the code to wrap the interface and provide
> an easy way to distribute execution (client-server) of any interface using
> JMS?
> Thank you in advance!

The tricky bit is ensuring that the on-the-wire message formats
correctly match up to the legacy application. There's a number of
solutions out there in general for doing this kind of thing - such as
JAX-WS via say CXF using Web Services with SOAP/XML encoding.

For more custom coding of messages to Java objects you might wanna
experiment with the Spring Remoting support with Camel

If you control both ends of the wire, Camel supports trivial remoting
of any Java interface/class; however if the back end is some legacy
system you might want to plugin your own Message Translator so perform
whatever custom encodings your legacy application expects - as there
are many different ways to encode method invocations into
messages/destinations/headers and payloads.

Open Source Integration

View raw message