activemq-users mailing list archives

From Hans Bausewein <ha...@comerwell.xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Master/Slave JDBC persistence using embedded broker in JBoss
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:26:17 GMT

First of all, I'm not sure whether I'm the right person to answer your
questions.
There may be more uses of ActiveMQ than I know of.

I've deployed 5.1.0 and the development version in a clustered JBoss
environment with pure master/slave and as a single broker (because of some
issues).

skomarla wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble getting a master slave setup working using an embedded
> broker in JBoss with JDBC persistence. I've done some searching to see if
> there is a workaround, but the only thing i've seen seems to be to either
> run master/slave separately, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
>
> The overview of the architecture is this.
> 1) There will be multiple JBoss instances each hosting a spring based
> application, which contain JMS listeners (using the spring's
> org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer).
> 2) In order to keep the deployment as simple as possible, we have decided
> to use the embedded activemq broker and have each node use the in vm
> transport protocol.
> 3) I'm using activemq 5.1.0, and so I don't have a problem with the slave
> node completing its startup sequence.
>
> My problem occurs when my spring based application deploys.
> - The master node completes its start up sequence and the application
> deploys.
> - The slave node complete's startup sequence without blocking, but when
> the application deploys, the DefaultMessageListenerContainer repeatedly
> tries to connect to the broker.  This fails with the below exception.
> (seemingly because the slave has not started its transport connectors
> which it seems to only do so when it becomes a master)

The documentation is quite clear:

  http://activemq.apache.org/jdbc-master-slave.html

"Only the master broker starts up its transport connectors and so the
clients can only connect to the master."

If you want to know why, one of the designers/developers probably better
answers that.

I guess it's a lot easier to accept messages on one entry point only.

Hans