activemq-users mailing list archives

From David Crisp <davidcris...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question on multicast transport
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:56:34 GMT

Hi,
     I have an application that performs a large amount of ephemeral
state distribution.  State is transmitted from ~20 publishers to a group of
four caches via a non-durable topic.  State is queried using an RPC-style
mechanism by publishing to a non-durable queue and having the responding
cache instance send the reply to a temporary queue on the client.  (IE:
standard stuff).

OS:  Linux RHEL
JDK  1.5.0_13
AMQ: 4.1.1

     Given that latency is a factor,  I had originally intended to use
embedded brokers and use
a MulticastTransport as the network connector between brokers.   Given that
all information is
largely ephemeral and I anticipate fairly heavy usage, the occasional data
loss and query timeouts are not deal breakers.

a.)  Is it reasonable (and possible) to use MulticastTransport as a network
connnector in v4.1.1?

b.)  Given I have a strong preference for embedded brokers for latency
reasons,  what's the best practice for network (inter-broker) communication?

c.)   Would I be better served with an external network of brokers?  I would
think not given that throughput and low-latency are my primary drivers.

I don't have estimated update/query rates as of yet, but my belief is that
they'll be substantial.

Thanks in advance,
D.