activemq-users mailing list archives

From bwtaylor <>
Subject Re: Setting stomp wire format parameters
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:13:11 GMT

I checked out AMQ-1739. I think my situation is different. My stomp sockets
all show as ESTABLISHED, not CLOSE_WAIT. The interesting thing is that the
message producer clients don't show the sockets as existing anymore. I think
what may be happening is that an intermediary firewall drops the connection
from its table after an inactivity timeout. Later, a clients try to send a
message and get a failure and closes the original socket, opening another.
On the activemq side, no traffic arrives again on the original socket and it
leaks. This happens about 25 times a day until I hit the ulimit is hit and
ActiveMQ won't accept new connections. (BTW, it seems a better behavior when
all sockets are full would be to close sockets from an LRU list.)

What's strange about this, is my linux kernel should be closing quiet

# sysctl -a | grep keepalive
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 75
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 900

Which makes me think ActiveMQ somehow forces them to be kept open, as if
maxInactivityDuration is unlimited.