activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why producer to a queue or durable topic consumes a lot of CPU?
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 06:11:13 GMT

On 29 May 2008, at 00:57, janylj wrote:

> I had a single broker, which uses the default configuration. Then I
> had a
> Producer sending messages to a queue and a Consumer reading from the
> queue.
> At this time, the CPU usage on the broker is about 60%-70%. Because
> the
> broker is on a box with 2 Xeon processes each @ 1.86GHz, each
> processor has
> more than 50% idle. Then I added another Producer and Consumer to
> the queue,
> it drove the combined CPU usage over 100% and each processor only
> had 30%
> idle. I think mostly Producer is taking CPU resource, adding more
> Consumer
> doesn't seem to put much CPU load.
>
> Finally the message rate for one producer is about 4K message/
> second. While
> the rate when having three producers simultaneously only is 1.5K
> message/second each.
>
> The question is that whether it's expected from Activemq or
> something I did
> wrong. Also does it imply that adding more producer does not increase
> throughput, if not decrease it?
>
> Thank you very much.
> --

There is a lot of work going on in the broker marshaling/unmarshaling
messages, adding them to an index in store etc - you will hit a
plateau where you won't increase overall throughput by adding more
producers. From your example, the overall throughput has increased
from 4k msg/sec to 4.5k msg/sec by using 3 producers instead of 1 - so
you haven't quite reached that point yet - but your close.

We will be looking at increasing throughput and reducing cpu for
version 6.0 - which will be due out later this year.

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/products/enterprise-activemq
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/