activemq-users mailing list archives

From "code.junkie" <code.junkie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie questions
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 19:47:48 GMT

rajdavies wrote:

> Keeping to the JMS interface directly will give you more independence
> - though things may be a little easier to get started if you use an
> ActiveMQConnectionFactory directly.
> However,  instead of JNDI you could use Spring - see
> http://activemq.apache.org/spring-support.html

I am not planning to use spring for my application. So I guess the better
option is to use the activemq APIs directly? Assuming I am always going to
use activemq, is there any other advantage of JMS in addition to providing
an activemq independent code for messaging?

rajdavies wrote:

> Why not use transactions for the consumer ? - there maybe a marginal
> improvement in performance - as it allows us to batch up the
> acknowledgements back to the server.
> Note of caution though - ensure the transaction boundary is smaller
> than the prefetch size - see
> http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html
> it makes the broker have to work less!

Got it. I see that the default prefetch limit for persistent queues is 1000.
So this would mean that I should not be processing more than 1000 messages
within a single transaction.

Thanks,
Rakesh