activemq-users mailing list archives

From sesik <>
Subject App won't exit because Session Task/Connection Worker threads won't die.
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:00:27 GMT

I'm using ActiveMQ 5.0. I'm having an issue shutting down my application if
the ActiveMQ server is down.

I have a very simple client app that watches for files, and fires messages
with the file name. The app is good enough to recover from a JMS failure if
you bring the ActiveMQ server back up. One can also stop the app via a JMX
call. The issue arises when you try to shut down the application while the
ActiveMQ server is down (a desirable behavior, one would assume).

What happens is, all my threads close gracefully, but the 2 ActiveMQ threads
keep running, not letting the VM exit. I am removing my listener, closing
all sessions/producers/consumers/connections, and yet those threads won't

Is there any way I can kill those threads without having to resort to
System.exit() and kill-9?