activemq-users mailing list archives

From toff <toffe...@lu.unisi.ch>
Subject Cyclic network of brokers: configuration and duplicates
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:32:05 GMT

Dear activeMQ gurus,

although I have not yet found an answer, this question is related to posts:

(1)
http://www.nabble.com/Network-of-Brokers-configuration-limitation--td11639335s2354.html#a11639335

and

(2)
http://www.nabble.com/Network-of-Brokers-...-td2921710s2354.html#a3114441

I am testing the behavior of our in-house implementation of a content-based
routing solution (e.g., pub-sub: that is topics and not queues) against the
performances of an activeMQ network of brokers. My question is: what is the
best (in terms of performances and message duplicates) configuration I can
use for a cyclic network?

To start simple I am using the following topology:
S1--S3
|      |
S2--S4

The configuration file for S1 is therefore:

<beans
  xmlns:amq="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"
  http://activemq.org/config/1.0
http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core.xsd
  http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring/camel-spring.xsd">
  <bean
class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/>
  <broker xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0" useJmx="false"
brokerName="node33" persistent="false">
    <transportConnectors>
    	<transportConnector name="local" uri="tcp://localhost:17701"/>
    </transportConnectors>
    <networkConnectors>
      <networkConnector name="S2" dynamicOnly="true" networkTTL="15"
uri="static://(tcp://node34:17702)"/>
      <networkConnector name="S3" dynamicOnly="true" networkTTL="15"
uri="static://(tcp://node35:17703)"/>
    </networkConnectors>
  </broker>
  <commandAgent xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"/>
</beans>

In contrast to post (1) and from what I gather from
http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html , I am specifying
multiple network connectors as I want S1 to be connected to both S1 and S2.
If I understand correctly, a static URI with multiple addresses (e.g.,
uri="static:(tcp://localhost:61616,tcp://remotehost:61616,tcp://..)")
results in a random connection to just one of the provided addresses.

Is this the right way to do it?
>From the client logs I would definitely say no, as each client receives
multiple (thousands!) copies of the same message.

Are cyclic topologies supported? Could someone please suggest a
configuration for them?

Or should I just use hierarchical topologies?

The latter is the conclusion I infer from post (2), but if there's somebody
knowledgeable about this out there I'd be really happy to have a final word
on this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Gio