activemq-users mailing list archives

From jhsachs <>
Subject AllowOverride Limit should let me use Order in .htaccess?
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:39:04 GMT

I am trying to enable mod_rewrite, and the results I'm getting do not make
sense to me.  I'm not very familiar with Apache configuration , and I hope
that somebody more experienced can help me figure out what is going on.

The environment is Windows XP, Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.5.  The application I
am running is Drupal 6.2.

I made the following changes to httpd.conf in the conf directory:

1. Uncommented the "LoadModule rewrite_module modules/"

2. In a &lt;Directory&gt; block that refers to the Apache document root (the
immediate parent of the application directory), changed "AllowOverride None"
to "AllowOverride Limit".

When I restarted Apache and tried to run the application it would not run,
and I got an Apache alert (in the error log) which said,
"applicationdirectory/.htaccess: order not allowed here".

When I changed "AllowOverride Limit" to "AllowOverride All", Apache ran the
application without complaint.

There is a .htaccess file in the application directory, and it does contain
an Order directive.  But why does Apache object to this when "AllowOverride
Limit" is in effect?  If I understand the function of AllowOverwrite
correctly, that is the option that authorizes Order directives in the
.htaccess file.  (See;.)

Since "AllowOverride All" takes me where I want to go, I have a one sense
solved my own problem.  As a matter of good practice, though, I want to
grant .htaccess the most restrictive permission that will permit it to do
what it must do, and "All" is not it.