activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Receipt of Simple Text Message
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:53:25 GMT
On 17/03/2008, Gary Jarrel <gary@jarrel.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
>  I've very new to ActiveMQ and my research so far has proven fruitless.
>
>  I need to be able to receive simple one line text messages from a remote server.
>
>  I do not have any control over this server hence I can not request any changes to the
way the data is sent. The remote server basically connects to my server on an IP address and
a port and sends one line text messages, end of each message is indicated by a new line character.
Eg:

>  01,Sample1,-10
>
>  I can not seem to figure out a way to configure an ActiveMQ resource adapter to be able
to handled this scenario. The remote server does not need and/or care whether our servers
have received the message, it's a very simple system on the other end.

So ActiveMQ is a message broker designed such that the clients either
use the ActiveMQ JMS client or use one of the standard protocols to
communicate with the ActiveMQ broker such as OpenWire, REST or STOMP.

If you want to send or consume over custom wire protocols such as the
one you describe then I'd recommend using Camel to do this & to route
custom protocols to and from ActiveMQ.
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/

e.g. Camel comes with a MINA component that can be used to support
custom socket protocols...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/mina.html

So inside the broker you'd have a route something like...

<camelContext ...>
 <route>
   <from uri="myMina:localhost:1234"/>
   <to uri="activemq:MyQueue"/>
  </route>
 </camelContext>

>  I would ideally like to utilize the Active MQ resource adapter to receive these messages
and forward them onto my message bean running inside a Glassfish server. The only important
issue is that the message volumes can be quite high during peak periods, so the resource adapter
needs to be able to queue the messages so that the server does not run out of resources.

Once the message is actually on an ActiveMQ queue (e.g. using Camel)
you'll then be able to use the AMQ RA if you wanna use MDBs or you
could just use Spring's MessageListenerContainer stuff

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration