activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ramit Arora <ramit.ar...@gmail.com>
Subject Implementing failover for Net::Stomp
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:50:01 GMT

Hi,
I am using ActiveMQ 5.0.0. My application requires Perl publishers & Java
subscribers. Since HA is a necessity, I wish to implement failover
capability in the Net::Stomp client for Perl.
I've already come up with a basic solution, but I am facing the following
problem:
I use the pipe broken signal to detect master broker failure from perl. The
pipe does not break until the master shuts down its Stomp connector. If I
abruptly shut down the master (power down or kill -9), then there is no
issue. But if I cleanly shutdown the master (^C), then the master does not
shut down its Stomp connector until it has done its cleanup. This normally
takes around 10secs. This results in the Perl client sending messages to the
broker for those crucial ten seconds. These messages are lost & not
delivered to the Java client.
Is there are any other way of detecting that the master is shutting down?
Perhaps something using the STOMP ERROR frame?

TIA,
Ramit