activemq-users mailing list archives

From beeeph <bee...@gmail.com>
Subject How can I tell when ActiveMQ has started?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:15:28 GMT

The program I'm writing uses ActiveMQ to send messages between to
applications.  I'd like one of the applications to start the ActiveMQ server
as a separate process when that application is run.  The code for starting
the ActiveMQ server looks something like this...

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
	//START ACTIVEMQ
	Process ^procActiveMQ = gcnew Process();
	procActiveMQ->StartInfo->FileName = "tools\\activemq\\start_broker.bat";
	procActiveMQ->Start();

        Sleep(15000)  //<----I don't like this approach
        //START OTHER PROCESSES...
}

Do you see that ugly call to Sleep()?  Basically I'm giving ActiveMQ enough
time, on any machine, to get started before I begin creating other processes
that rely on ActiveMQ being up and running.

My question, how can I be notified when ActiveMQ is up and running instead
of just sleeping long enough to guarantee it's ready?  Thanks in advance for
all your help!

Beeeph