activemq-users mailing list archives

From Qian Su <>
Subject Re: retry without using Failover Transport
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:53:29 GMT

Thanks for the reply. I do see retry attempts from FailoverTransport in the
stacktrace now, however the initialReconnectDelay param doesn't seem to have

I applied the following producer URL to broker and it seems that the 2
retries are attempted immediately.

Is this the correct way to set initial reconnect delay?

On 29/02/2008, Qian Su <> wrote:
>  Hi,
>  We are using Activemq version 4.1.1, tcp transport and we'd like the
>  producer to retry at least once in case of connection timeout to a
> broker.
>  The brokers are configured behind a load balancer.
>  Does Activemq support retries on the producer end?

Yes -using failover transport

>  I am aware of the FailoverTransport and knows it provides configuration
> for
>  maxReconnectAttempts, initialReconnectDelay, etc, but am not sure if this
> is
>  the best approach or if it is applicable for our situation since the load
>  balancer is the only one point of entry to talk to a broker in our case.

It is. You can define how many times you want the client to attempt to
reconnect - irrespective of how host names are mapped to physical real
IP addresses.

e.g. use failover with a single logical hostname/IP adress.

>  Is it correct to configure a producer connection URL to the load balancer
>  something like this:
> failover://(tcp://host:61616)?maxReconnectAttempts=1&initialReconnectDelay=200
>  By the way, I tried the above URL and id doesn't seem to work.

Does increasing the maxReconnectAttempts help?

Open Source Integration