activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: interconnecting dbus and activemq
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:26:46 GMT
On 08/02/2008, phb <> wrote:
> Hi,
> We're looking for a new interprocess communication mecanism for the
> applications we develop on Linux (today we use a mix of techniques from UNIX
> IPC to sockets and pipes)
> A good candidate for us is dbus, which is available from the Qt API we're
> working with. We're also considering ActiveMQ for the access to application
> servers it brings.
> Could you help us make up our mind :
> - isn't ActiveMQ a bit heavyweight for local IPC communication (99% of our
> current needs) ?

No not really, ActiveMQ is pretty lightweight especially when
communicating on the same box. From an architectural perspective the
ActiveMQ broker is like the D-BUS daemon process.

Its worth thinking of all those edge cases with messaging; do you need
persistence, transactions - do you wanna handle slow topic consumers
if using pub/sub, or deal with buffering to disk of you have a queue
that starts backing up etc.

> - how does interconnectiong dbus and activemq seem to you ?

I found the spec BTW :

it wouldn't be that hard to implement a D-BUS connector on ActiveMQ;
though if you really wanna use D-BUS clients and its transport, I
guess you could just use D-BUS :)

I wonder if it'd be easy to implement the ActiveMQ D-BUS transport using this...

if nothing else it should be easy to write a Camel component for D-BUS
so you could configure an ActiveMQ <-> D-BUS bridge for folks wanting
to use a mixture of ActiveMQ and D-BUS.

Open Source Integration

View raw message