activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maximum number of durable topics per MQ instance.
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:17:24 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:05 AM, davewolfs wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am hoping that some of you could provide me with some realistic
> numbers on
> the maximum number of Durable Topic subscribers.
>
> I have never worked with Active MQ so I am not familiar with it's
> limits.
> In a production environment what are some realistic numbers for the
> maximum
> durable topic subscribers?
>
> Is ActiveMQ capable of handling durable subscribers in the thousands
> i.e.
> 5000 subscribers or is a number like this pushing the limits.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dave
> --

ActiveMQ certainly is capable of handling a large number of durable
subscribers - but I for one haven't tested the upper limit as yet.
Factors which you need to take into account are:

1. A thread is associated with connection - unless you use AIO or NIO
- so you need to ensure that your operating system allocate a large
number of file descriptors per process. If messages cannot be pushed
to the consumer straight away, they are pulled from data store - the
thread from the sending connection - or the thread used to acknowledge
messages from the consuming connection are used to do the polling.

2. Each durable subscriber adds a small overhead to the data store -
its worthwhile trying different implementations - JDBC or the default
file based store - to see which one is more suitable to your usage
patterns

Let us know how you get on!

cheers,

Rob