activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Klute <rainer.kl...@dp-itsolutions.de>
Subject Re: Confusing results for my performance testing
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:39:01 GMT
zaoliu schrieb:
> An issue when testing performance s when I increase the number of consumers
> for testing non-persistent messages, the throughput get down very fast. I
> can't find the reason for it. Each consumer thread is a separate connection
> to the broker.
> Below is my result for testing (all using one producer to send messages in a
> separate JVM):
> 1 consumer:               12683/s
> 2 consumers:              11289/s
> 3 consumers:               9956/s
> 4 consumers:               8638/s
> 10 consumers:             5820/s
>
> To my understanding, increasing the consumer numbers should improve the
> throughput of brokers, but the result is opposite to my expectation.

To my understanding, increasing the number of consumers should not
change the *overall* throughput. In fact, I'd expect a slightly worse
throughput because the broker has to do more management work than with
just one consumer. However, you point out a serious problem here. See
also <https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1586>.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Rainer Klute
Architect

IT Services Europe
Deutsche Post IT Services GmbH
Konrad-Adenauer-Platz 1
40210 Düsseldorf
Germany

Phone:  +49 (0)211 163 1156
Mobile: +49 (0)172 2324824
http://www.dhl.com/
rainer.klute@dp-itsolutions.de

OpenPGP fingerprint: 10F3E02A46E48B5BE7F1B70263F50FB920B926C2