activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Roger Hoover" <roger.hoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Priority queue/semantics of consumer priority
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:21:47 GMT
I want to implement a priority queue (message delivery ordered by priority)
and am trying to figure out what consumer priority means.

After looking over the documentation (
http://activemq.apache.org/consumer-priority.html) and these email threads,
the semantics of consumer priority are still not entirely clear to me.
http://www.nabble.com/Consumer-Priority-on-AMQ-5.0-to14369093s2354.html#a14369093
http://www.nabble.com/Using-different-consumer-priorities-in-the-same-connection-td14722765s2354.html#a14722765

- Does consumer priority control the order of message delivery or does it
influence which consumer messages get sent to?

- If it controls delivery order, what effect does setting a priority on a
consumer have?  It would seem like the priority should be set per message.

- What does Hiram mean by "exclusive consumers"?  Is this different from
each message being delivered to one and one only consumer?

- What is the weighting algorithm for priorities?

- What is the ballpark performance penalty for priority evaluation on the
broker?

- Does the priority value have any particular significance other than being
greater or less than other priority levels?
  - Is there a maximum priority value?
  - Does priority 0 have any special meaning?

- Does the feature exist in AMQ 4.1.1?

- Are there any gotchas when using it with STOMP?

I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Cheers,

Roger