activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 06:52:28 GMT

On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:26 PM, dalin wrote:

> rajdavies wrote:
>>
>> Store usage controls the maximum size of the AMQMessage Store
>> TempUsage is the maximum size of the store used for non-persistent
>> messages that may optionally overflow from memory awaiting dispatch
>> MemoryUsage is the maximum amount of memory the broker will use
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
>> http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/
>>

> Are the settings enforced? For example, if I am running an embedded
> broker
> inside another java app and have set the max jvm heap size to be
> 512MB, but
> have set MemoryUsage to be 100MB. Will the broker only use at most
> 100MB of
> memory, or can it exceed that amount?
> --

The broker makes a guess at how much space messages will use in the
JVM - based on the size of the message after its been serialized. If
you are using the vm://transport - messages aren't by default
serialized so it used the default - 8k as the message size. This means
that the broker should use 100mb or less of the available JVM space.