activemq-users mailing list archives

From metaldork <metald...@email.com>
Subject Re: need help interpreting jmx values
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:12:18 GMT

ok so i think i've figured out the consumer count thing.  but first, what was
confusing me was that my ops guy had brought up a test instance of the
application this is intended for on the same network without letting me
know.  so once that was taken down it became more clear.  here's what i
gather:

i have 4 brokers configured for max 1 network hop.  so each broker has to be
a consumer to every other broker that has a consumer listening on that
topic.  my initial thought was that each broker just became a consumer to
any one of the other brokers.

each broker only becomes a consumer to a broker that has a non-broker
consumer.  so if all 4 brokers get a non-broker consumer, each has 3 broker
consumers (12 across the network) plus 10 non-broker consumers for a total
of 22.

now, having said that, is it more efficient to allow a max of 3 network
hops, resulting in fewer consumers but more potential distance for a message
to travel?

also, getting rid of this bogus consumer seems to have fixed the problem
with pauses in message dequeueing