activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: more topics against more filters - overhead estmation
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:37:44 GMT
I'll assume all the clients are active at the same time - and that you
don't require durable subscribers. In which case there will be the
destination itself - which is a relatively small object and queued
messages for each subscriber to a destination.
The trade of is one of performance against memory usage. Using filters
(via selectors - http://activemq.apache.org/selectors.html) - will
result in every message being evaluated - which will be moderately
slower than the look-up for the destination itself.  This can be
traded against message references held for each subscriber (one per
destination per client) - as well as the destination object overhead.

Alternatively - you can use wild cards - http://activemq.apache.org/wildcards.html
  on the destinations - which is faster than selectors - providing you
can break your destinations into a suitable hierarchy (this would be
my choice btw).

If you want your application to remain 100% JMS compliant, use
selectors - as not every vendor can handle a large number of
destinations - and wildcards are not always supported - and the syntax
can change from vendor to vendor.

Hope that helps,

cheers,

Rob