activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about the store/forward algorithm
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 07:47:15 GMT
Hub and spoke architecture - as you've described - is certainly a
valid one.
By default, messages are forwarded to brokers that express an
interest in the message by themselves having a consumer interested in
the remote message. Subscription information is propagated from one
broker to the next, and if configured to do so - that subscription
information will be propagated further around the network - in BFS
manner.

However - by default the number of hops messages/subscriptions are
allowed to pass through is 1 - see http://activemq.apache.org/
networks-of-brokers.html
So providing you configure the networkTTL to be equivalent to the
maximum number of hops - your messages should be able to propagate
across multiple broker-to-broker steps. Messages/subscriptions carry
around information about who they've visited - so we can prevent
cycles happening.

Hope that helps

cheers,

Rob