activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Reload Java EIP Rules
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:56:38 GMT
On 19/11/2007, Viswanath Durbha <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using ActiveMQ 5.0 snapshot version that has Camel integrated. I've
> defined some Camel EIP routes using Java. I created a jar and dropped it
> into the $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/lib folder. All the routes I've defined in there
> work perfectly fine.
> However, if I want to change any of those routes, can I do that without
> restarting the broker itself? If I just drop a new jar file, would it be
> picked up by the current broker instance automatically? Or is there any
> other way to do it?

Currently today the only option is to bounce the broker unfortunately.
Though on the plus side; if you're clients are using failover: then
things will just work even if you bounce the broker.

You can always deploy the EIP routes in another process; so bouncing
it doesn't affect the broker.

To avoid bouncing the broker we could experiment with using JavaRebel...

to auto-detect class changes and redeploying them. Another option is
Agent Smith that does a similar thing...

We'd just need to figure out a way to ensure that if a RouteBuilder
class is changed, we correctly remove the old one (shutting down the
route) and re-applying the new one.

I've created an issue to track this...

Open Source Integration

View raw message