activemq-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to use TransportListener with FailoverTransport
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:27:50 GMT
Hi Jason,

on initialization of the transport with no brokers - you say it  
hangs ? - is that at the transport (tcp) level ?


cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/



On Nov 16, 2007, at 11:12 PM, Jason Rosenberg wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to implement a solution based on the TransportListener,  
> in order
> to use the FailoverTransport.
>
> Basically, I don't want to use the maxReconnectAttempts param for
> FailoverTransport, because I want it to be self-recovering, and to  
> continue
> retrying, etc.
>
> But, I do need it to respond quickly to the caller when no brokers are
> available.
>
> So, I'm wondering what the recommended approach might be for  
> utilizing the
> TransportListener.  I have version up and running, which seems to  
> work ok,
> in that I can set a listener on my connections and set an
> 'availabilityStatus', etc....So, I don't attempt to make a  
> connection or
> send a message, if the availabilityStatus is false, etc.
>
> However, I haven't figured out how to make it work if the app  
> initially
> comes up the first time with no brokers available.  In this case, the
> initial connection attempt hangs, and so I never even get to the  
> point of
> being able to add a transportListener, in the first place.
>
> I've tried doing things under the hood, like explicitly start an
> 'initializingFailoverTransport' object, and set the listener to  
> that, prior
> to the application being initialized.  This seems to work ok, but  
> it seems
> to cause the application to hang on shut-down, I haven't seemed to  
> figure
> out how to make this 'initializingFailoverTransport' shut itself down
> cleanly when everything shuts down....
>
> I'm using Spring, so I use the InitializingBean and DisposableBean
> interfaces to manage creation and closing of the
> 'initializingFailoverTransport'.....(but this  
> initializingFailoverTransport
> approach seems like a hack to me anyway, I'm not really happy with  
> it.).
>
> Anyway, I'm beginning to think I'm going about it all wrong,  
> perhaps there's
> a cleaner way to make this work reliably?  Especially in the case  
> where the
> first connection attempt would hang, and thus can't even initialize  
> the
> TransportListener, etc....
>
> I'm using AMQ 4.1.1, by the way, with Jencks AMQPool....I've  
> modified the
> ActiveMQConnectionFactory to use a setTransportListener method  
> (basically
> copied the same model as was done for AMQ 5.X)....
>
> Finally, what is the reason for not allowing the transport to cause a
> transport failure exception, if all configured failover uri's fail,  
> but
> still have it be self-recovering if a broker becomes available?
>
> Jason
>
> What approaches have others tried?
> -- 
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/How-to-use- 
> TransportListener-with-FailoverTransport-tf4824542s2354.html#a13803554
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Mime
View raw message