activemq-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Pocock <dan...@readytechnology.co.uk>
Subject ActiveMQ and EJB3 - tested with JBoss
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:35:10 GMT

I've seen numerous postings regarding ActiveMQ with EJB3, and variations
of a datasource XML file for use with JBoss integration.

However, they don't quite work.  Here is what worked for me, it is
actually quite simple:

1. Don't use any datasource file - only the RA file is required.  Put it
in the `deploy' directory.  The file is called activemq-rar-4.1.1.rar
and it is in the ActiveMQ distribution (lib/optional/)

2. In JBoss, the @ResourceAdapter annotation must be placed on the
Message Driven Bean (MDB).  This may vary for other application servers.

3. Examples I've seen elsewhere show an activationConfig with
destination=<a JNDI name for the queue>.  This doesn't work.  Put the
ActiveMQ destination name in the activationConfig.  There is no need to
put the queue in the JNDI.

Here is a working example - for EJB3 on JBoss, no XML descriptors are
needed, just the RA file and the MDB.

import org.jboss.annotation.ejb.ResourceAdapter;
@MessageDriven(activationConfig =
        {
              @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName="destinationType",
propertyValue="javax.jms.Queue"),
              @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName="destination",
propertyValue="FOO.TEST"),
              @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName="acknowledgeMode",
propertyValue="Auto-acknowledge")
        })
@ResourceAdapter("activemq-rar-4.1.1.rar")
public class TestBean implements MessageListener {

  public TestBean() {
  }

  public void onMessage(Message message) {
  }

}

Ready Technology Limited
Incorporated in England and Wales, 4940731
Registered office: Devonshire House, 60 Goswell Rd, London, EC1M 7AD