activemq-users mailing list archives

From gfrank <g...@netfrank.net>
Subject looking for best practices for High Availability and guaranteed message delivery
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:08:32 GMT

After reading as much as possible on this subject both on the ActiveMQ wiki
and here in the forum there are a few questions remaining.  Hopefully
someone here can provide advice and/or cautions.

Background:  I'm working on a message processing system that must have
guaranteed order of delivery and no message loss.  This system has a human
safety impact so conservative choices are best.  Throughput and load
balancing for performance purposes are the lowest priorities compared to
solid reliability and resilience.

Questions:

First, i see that recovery from a failed Master in a Master/Slave
configuration requires both some manual intervention in moving the message
store from the slave to the master as well as some incurred downtime due to
a restart of all the brokers.  Is there a road-map item to address this
situation and simplify the recovery process ... hopefully making it
automatic?  Has anyone here experienced this in production as it is
currently coded now and if so, how well does it work?

How about alternatives to the Master/Slave choice.  Is there any way to
provide message replication for safety purposes within a network of brokers?
For example, is there any option using a network of brokers and a single
shared JDBC message store across multiple brokers?  I know that this just
makes the JDBC store a new single point of failure but there are
off-the-shelf database cluster solutions which can help address that issue.

Finally, does anyone have experience with how Master/Slave and Network of
Brokers holdup under the circumstance of network failure within the cluster
causing multiple Masters, etc?  I'm concerned about situations that can lead
to duplicate message processing and/or out-of-order messages.

Thanks for any advice,
Greg