activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: message selectors
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:15:33 GMT
On 11/10/2007, Terry K <tyrone.king@thomson.com> wrote:

> ... thanks for the suggestions - message groups do sound like a plausible
> solution.
>
> I am not interested in assigning a group of messages to particular sessions
> indefinately as the groups will be small and many. Once the high priority
> message has been dequeued with all related messages (at that point in time)
> that batch work is done and time to move onto the next high priority
> message.

If you basically want to reorder a queue so that high priority
messages are processed first; with their related messages before
others, you maybe need this...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/resequencer.html

to reorder messages on the queue before they hit your consumer

> CorrelationID's also look promising. High do you create a message selector
> string to select by comparisons to other messages

A JMS selector only performs a boolean expression on the current
message only - not on a window of previous messages

>  e.g. CorrelationID and
> Priorty? I can see how this is done in the JMS Message javadoc API. All
> documentation seems to relate to literal comparisons

See
http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-use-jms-efficiently.html

with JMS if you want high performance you typically don't wanna be
starting/stopping subscriptions as you process individual messages.

--
James
-------

Open Source SOA