activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Priority vs Exclusive
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:10:59 GMT
On 8/6/07, Elber <shaheer@hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done some tests of consumer priority and exclusive and I found that if
> I start 2 consumers on the same queue (the first with a priority = 2 and the
> second =1), the first will consume all messages.
> It's the same thing whit consumer.exclusive.
> So what's the difference between the 2.

You can have multiple consumers with the same priority sharing
messages. With exclusive consumer, you can only ever have a single
consumer, period - irrespective of priorities.

> I've read the doc and it explained that priority is used to avoid network
> Hops, it can't be used to allow to one consumer to consume 80% of messages
> and 20% for the other?

No - to split message consumption across multiple consumers, the
current flow control & prefetch logic deals with letting faster
consumers consume more of the messages

--
James
-------