activemq-users mailing list archives

From DominicTulley <dominic.tul...@telelogic.com>
Subject How can I find messages that have been unconsumed for "too long"?
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:12:16 GMT

Is there a way, either with filters or timeouts on queues, to get my hands on
any messages that have been sitting in the queue for "too long"?

My situtation/plan is to have a queue with multiple consumers.  Each
consumer will be using a selector to decide which messages to consume.
Under ideal circumstances, all messages will have a consumer that wants
them, but situations can arise where a message doesn't match any selector.
I would like to have some mechanism whereby I can spot that the message is
at the "front" of the queue but after n seconds still hasn't been consumed.
This allows me to arrange for a consumer to start dealing with that
particular message type.

I looked at the JSMExpiration header which sounded about right, except that
on expiry the outcome is to destroy the message.  I would love to be able to
ask the expiry processing to simply forward the message to another queue,
for instance.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

-Dominic