activemq-users mailing list archives

From ocoolio <ad...@freemail.hu>
Subject Performance problem - On empty queue sender gets blocked - on filled queue it's OK
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:04:17 GMT

Hello!

I have a bad performance problem:

Im using NMS with .NET (C#) and two Qs:
SUBMITQ
DESTQ

A server component listens on SUBMITQ. When message received, transforms it
and submits it to DESTQ. All done in one transaction
(AcknowledgementMode.Transactional and sess.Commit(), PrefetchSize=1).
This works great with stuffed queues (>10 msg pending) since the receiver
doenst block the producer.
The performance in this (filled q) case: ~130msg/sec on consumer.
The producer can send about 500msg/sec.

The problem comes when the consumer empties the q. When it happens the
producer becomes extremely slow (10msg/s) as well as the consumer. The q
remains empty so somehow the prod and cons waits for each other.
When I pause the consumer for a sec, the q gets a lot of messages and the
performance is back to normal: the producer sends with 500, the consumer
works with 130.

I use persistent messages, journal and PostgreSQL.
Because of .NET NMS, I cannot make async sends on the client, however the
500/sec is just enough for me.

Please, tell me what this is, I just cannot figure it out. I dont want to
implement wait cycles on the consumer just to get the queue packed with
messages!
(ActiveMQ 5.0, 2007 07 10).

Thanks,

Adam