activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to have a highly available and scalable setup using network of brokers?
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:39:23 GMT
On 6/20/07, Nicky Sandhu <nickysandhu@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of trying to setup a network of brokers for HA

If you want HA then you want a Master/Slave arrangement as you
probably want to replicate messages to multiple physical brokers (or
share state across multiple brokers via JDBC or a SAN)..

http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html

> behind a
> load balancer. The aim is to allow clients to see a virtual broker (which is
> really load balanced and with fail over) with a single IP/port.

FWIW do you really need to load balance across brokers? What kinds of
message throughputs are we talking about?

i.e. you only need to move from a master/slave to a network of
masters/slaves when you have pretty large throughput.

> Any alternative ways to achieve
> HA/scalability which shields the client from configuration changes as we
> scale up?

On the client side, its purely about the discovery of brokers -
whatever the topology & number of brokers - so you could use one of
the existing discovery mechanisms (e.g. zeroconf or multicast) or
write your own if you want a non-multicast based one.

http://activemq.apache.org/discovery.html

--
James
-------