activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disabling System.err logging
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:42:46 GMT
On 6/13/07, Elliotte Harold <erharold@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting a JMS application using test first development, as is my habit.
> As soon as I run the first test, it's dumping a lot of junk like this to the
> console:
>
> Jun 13, 2007 10:07:06 AM org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService getBroker
> INFO: ActiveMQ 4.1.1 JMS Message Broker (localhost) is starting
> Jun 13, 2007 10:07:06 AM org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService getBroker
> INFO: For help or more information please see:
> http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
> Jun 13, 2007 10:07:06 AM org.apache.activemq.broker.jmx.ManagementContext$1run
> INFO: JMX consoles can connect to
> service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/jmxrmi
> Jun 13, 2007 10:07:06 AM org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService start
>
> 1. How do I turn this off (short of redirecting System.err to /dev/null,
> which I can do if I have to)

You can disable it via adding this to the conf/log4j.properties file
to disable all INFO level logging for activemq...

log4j.logger.org.apache.activemq=WARN

or change this line

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, stdout, out

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, out

to disable stdout

> 2. Shouldn't this be off by default? I didn't ask for this output, and
> libraries should not talk to the end user unless the client specifically
> tells them to.

Mostly as any kind of problem folks mail to the user list, we need to
know what version folks are using; so thats the first thing we log (as
with classloader issues, sometimes its not what folks think it is).

Then often the second question we get is how to connect remotely via
JMX; so we log that URL.

So there's a small few bits of logging we tend to do that makes it
easy for users to get good answers on the forums. Its also easy to
disable if folks don't want it.

--
James
-------