activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future support for message priority in ActiveMQ?
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:12:52 GMT
On 5/30/07, ender <gd_backup@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While I'm aware that ActiveMQ currently does not support message priority, I
> was wondering if there were any plans to include it in a future release?

Its on the list of JIRA issues so at some point will be tackled;
though like anything else, we welcome patches...

http://activemq.apache.org/contributing.html

Incidentally if you just want to be able to reorder queues using
priority (or indeed any other kind of mechanism for sorting messages)
you can use the Resequencer...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/resequencer.html

which works great with ActiveMQ (as well as all other JMS providers
and other components)
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/components.html

> The reason I'm asking is that we would really need a JMS implementation with
> priority support for our project. I'm aware that it is possible to implement
> some form of priority with message selectors, but this is not very feasible
> in our case, since we our queues have a single, fixed message consumer,
> which decides when it will consume the next message from the queue. The next
> message should be the one with the highest priority on the queue.

Just pop the resequencer in between the producer and consumer queue;
then you can finely control how the priority ordering works etc. e.g.
you can use complex expressions/rules for sorting things etc. Such as
using JMSPriority first, then by some other header.

In Camel...

from("activemq:producerQueue").
  resequencer(header("JMSPriority"), header("MyHeader")).
  to("activemq:consumerQueue");

--
James
-------