activemq-users mailing list archives

From Manuel Teira <mte...@tid.es>
Subject About releases and bugs
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:26:12 GMT
Hello.

I will try to outline briefly our situation as activemq users:

We are embedding a 4.0.2 broker in our system. It is suffering some
problems:
 - Memory leaks.
 - Locks trying to create or delete temporary queues (AMQ-1278). Still
trying to reproduce it to verify this bug as fixed for us.
 - Inactivity exceptions in running channels, perhaps related with the
leaks and the GC monopolizing the CPU time.

We are in the process of migrating to activemq 4.1.1. In our tests, as
I've commented in a previous mail, we have found that:
  - Memory leaks are still happening, at least while creating temporary
queues and consumers (AMQ-1297)

As this bug is a stopper for us, we tried, as it's usually recommended,
with more recent snapshots, to see if the problems were fixed. So, we
have found, using the more recent 5.0 snapshot:
  - The memory leaks seems to be fixed.
  - Already delete messages can be browsed using the JMX console (AMQ-1296)
  - Messages are (hardly ever, but happens) duplicated or not delivered.
(AMQ-1295)
  - What seems random Inactivity exceptions in running and active
channels. Perhaps related with AMQ-1146.

So, my first question is about next releases. I think I've read somewere
that there will be a 4.1.2 release. I suppose that generated from svn
branches/activemq-4.1. However, a recent fix like the one for AMQ-1146
(related with the inactivity IO exceptions), was not applied on this
branch. So, what does this mean? That this bug won't be fixed in a
future 4.1.x release? That there would be no more 4.1.x ?

In the current situation, I think that the best release for us is 4.1.1,
if we were able to fix the leakages (5.0 found bugs are stoppers for
us). Any idea of what changes could have fixed that leakage?  I've also
started to inspect the source code of the project. I  have to say  that,
at a first glance, it looks great, well-organized and very modular. But
it's hard for a newcomer to understand the whole thing and to find out
where the different pieces go. Is there any guide for developers that
could ease the learning process ?

Thanks, and best regards.