activemq-users mailing list archives

From Nicky Sandhu <nickysan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to have a highly available and scalable setup using network of brokers?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 05:06:43 GMT

Joel Schaubert wrote:

> Our strategy is to use the "network of brokers" hosted behind a load
> balancer.
> http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html
>
> What are the extra benefits of going to the more complicated setup of
> pairs of master/slave's behind the load balancer instead of a flat space
> of a network of brokers?

 If a master were to fail then the slave would connect as a master to the
network to deliver any messages that were in the master's queue/topic for
consumers on other masters in the network. At least my idea was to not have
any messages stuck in the failed master's queue and have them delivered by
the slave. However the slave behind the load balancer would not get any load
(fresh client connections) which would mean that the load after failure
would be shared by remaining masters in the network.