activemq-users mailing list archives

From Joel Schaubert <>
Subject Re: How to have a highly available and scalable setup using network of brokers?
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:58:03 GMT

Nicky Sandhu wrote:
> I am in the process of trying to setup a network of brokers for HA behind
> a load balancer. The aim is to allow clients to see a virtual broker
> (which is really load balanced and with fail over) with a single IP/port.

We've been testing a simpler failover strategy with the same goal of hosting
brokers behind a load balancer.  Similar requirements of persistence on all
messages and easy failover but with the additional requirement that we use
STOMP clients.   These clients do not have the java connector logic in them
to do failover so using the load balancer in front works great for that.

Our strategy is to use the "network of brokers" hosted behind a load

What are the extra benefits of going to the more complicated setup of pairs
of master/slave's behind the load balancer instead of a flat space of a
network of brokers?

Joel Schaubert