activemq-users mailing list archives

From Nicky Sandhu <nickysan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to have a highly available and scalable setup using network of brokers?
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:57:23 GMT

James.Strachan wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Nicky Sandhu <nickysandhu@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am in the process of trying to setup a network of brokers for HA
>
> If you want HA then you want a Master/Slave arrangement as you
> probably want to replicate messages to multiple physical brokers (or
> share state across multiple brokers via JDBC or a SAN)..
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html

I have that (see the diagram) so I get what you are saying... but

James.Strachan wrote:

>> behind a
>> load balancer. The aim is to allow clients to see a virtual broker (which
>> is
>> really load balanced and with fail over) with a single IP/port.
>
> FWIW do you really need to load balance across brokers? What kinds of
> message throughputs are we talking about?
>
> i.e. you only need to move from a master/slave to a network of
> masters/slaves when you have pretty large throughput.

 ... we need to scale upto 3-4 K msgs/sec with durable subscribes on topics,
with persistent messages and upwards of a couple hundred publishers and
couple thousand consumers. Msg sizes range from 1K - 10 M. I am worried
about memory requirements on a single master broker being able to handle
that.

James.Strachan wrote:

>> Any alternative ways to achieve
>> HA/scalability which shields the client from configuration changes as we
>> scale up?
>
> On the client side, its purely about the discovery of brokers -
> whatever the topology & number of brokers - so you could use one of
> the existing discovery mechanisms (e.g. zeroconf or multicast) or
> write your own if you want a non-multicast based one.
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/discovery.html
>

> --
> James
> -------
> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

 so let me understand what you are saying. I could potentially write a load
balancing discovery mechanism  that could connect clients with the least
stressed out broker at the moment of connection request ? cool !!!