activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Message Groups
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 08:12:55 GMT
On 5/8/07, Banana Man <alex.hyde@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I was thinking that the interceptors might be a good idea. I like the idea
> of the
> responsibility being in the broker because, you could argue, it is the
> broker and
> not the client that should concern itself with HA and load balancing etc.

Yeah - its mostly one of performance that makes it better to add to
the client - as the clients always have the de-serialized message
payload in RAM; the broker often just moves the payloads around
without having to look inside them.

> The Transformer on the Producer sounds quite clean but it still assumes the
> client
> takes responsibilty.
>
>  I really like the idea of Camel. I was reading about the EIP's the other
> day. I'm afraid
> I probably haven't understood its purpose properly. I thought it was a
> framework
> of recommended patterns which Active actually implements.

Not quite. ActiveMQ is a message broker and message brokers have a
number of things they implement, such as load balancing, selectors,
sticky load balancing and so forth; however lots of the EIP patterns
implement above a message broker in clients; such as idemptent
consumer, splitter, recipient list, content enricher, message
transformation and so forth.

So the aim of Camel is to be a reusable EIP engine - or integration
rules engine - which can be then used both inside and outside of
ActiveMQ.

> Are you saying
> that
> I can specifically get Active to use some of those patterns? Sorry - a bit
> thick here.

So ActiveMQ does some of the EIP patterns in relation to JMS; but
Camel is a full implementation of all of them on top of any transport.
I think it'd make sense to have Camel configured in the ActiveMQ
broker by default so folks can easily implement all of the EIP
patterns inside the ActiveMQ broker.

--
James
-------