activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are messages lost if a stomp producer is quick
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 15:17:05 GMT
On 5/14/07, panu <panu.phinjaroephan@team.telstra.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>     I just downloaded ActiveMQ SNAPSHOT v.4.2.0 last night and tried a
> simple test with Stomp Python (stomp.py). That is, I ran a producer sending
> 100 of 1K messages consecutively (without any pause) to a queue. Things went
> OK when I ran the test on a PowerPC1.4GHz Mac OS X notebook. Running the
> same code, however, on an SMP (4 Intel Xeon 3GHz CPU) Redhad Enterprise 4, I
> saw only 93 messages successfully sent to the queue. I then coded the
> producer to pause (0.01ms) a bit before sending each message to the queue
> and things went OK. I also tried ActiveMQ v.4.1.1 and I got the same result.
>
>     Therefore, I would like to know, if someone could please answer:
>         - Is my stomp producer supposed to pause always?
>         - Is ActiveMQ supposed to be able to handle this situation?

No - it should be handled.

Am wondering if its a bug in the queue depth statistics when sending
lots of messages concurrently? (Am wondering if your stomp client
sends messages in sequence down the same socket or if it does so in
parallel?). I wonder if you browse the queue (rather than use the
statistics), do you see the full 100 messages?

--
James
-------