activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1 broker OutofMemoryError : unable to create new native thread
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:30:54 GMT
On 4/17/07, Ale Sarco <ale@sarco.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Using ActiveMQ 4.1.1 with Spring I experienced this "unable to create new
> native thread" exception in one of my production servers last night. The
> thing is that server does not has a large messaging traffic, it just send 2
> or 3 messages every couple of minutes to another webapp running in the same
> Tomcat, and this is only for 2 hours a day, and there were plenty of memory
> available on the heap for that VM.
> I agree that is probably related to the file descriptors that you mentioned,
> because when I tried to log in to that server via SSH I got an error about
> something like "insufficient resources". Only when I restarted the webapp I
> was able to login again.
> Now, what file descriptors is this about? Is a (logical) file created
> somewhere every time a message is sent? If so, how do I avoid this problem,
> I guess they should be reused or something?

File descriptors are often used for various things in the OS; files,
sockets, sometimes threads etc. ActiveMQ does not create a file or
socket per message :).

BTW how do things look in jconsole; do you have lots of connections on
your broker? I wonder if you are not closing connections after they
have been used (you are really meant to only use a small number of
connections and lots of sessions).
http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-use-jms-efficiently.html

Just up the file descriptors setting on your OS and it should fix this

--

James
-------