activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementation / Evaluation Questions
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:09:50 GMT
On 4/3/07, sktyjd <jdahl1972@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I came upon ActiveMQ in a post regarding JPMorgan's middleware specification
> and decided I'd take a look.

Great

> Sorry if this question has been answered before but I was wondering if
> someone could shed some light on a few questions I have.
>
> Currently, we have a trading system written in C# which relies heavily on MS
> technologies. Remoting for Order's and PGM for Market Data. I would like to
> at least have our message bus/communication protocol OS independent.

FWIW the NMS API can be used with several different providers (including MSMQ).
http://activemq.apache.org/nms/

> So my questions are as follows:
>
> 1. Does ActiveMQ Support Reliable Multicast?

Currently, no. We've a basic implementation but the reliability layer
needs a bit of work.

>    1.1 Does it support a sliding window - last ~1000 messages.
>     1.1.1 Is the sliding window configurable?
>
> 2. Can the daemon/service support two types of messaging and separate the
> two?
>    2.1 Publish/Subscribe scenario through reliable multicast -
> multicast://239.7.8.9:40000
>    2.2 Request/Response scenario through tcp - tcp://172.28.1.10:41000

Sure. You can run as many brokers as you like on whatever
hosts/addresses and use them for whatever protocols/destinations you
wish

>    2.3 Can certain types of messages be given higher priority in the queues?

We currently recommend the use of selectors for precise traffic
shaping when it comes to priorities (since usually priority queuing
only relates to reording of a transient buffer). e.g. having dedicated
thread pools for different priority levels, then catch-all pools for
the rest etc.

--

James
-------