activemq-users mailing list archives

From spiderman2 <>
Subject If I want to rollback a message
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:28:40 GMT

What are my options for the following requirement:

Step 1: A consumer gets a message from a broker's queue (which will likely
use roundrobin).
Step 2: It realizes that it doesn't want this particular message at this
time, so the broker should deliver it to another consumer.

Here are the options I can think of, please tell me if there are more and if
one is better:

1. I use CLIENT_ACKKNOWLEDGE sessions and close the session such that the
Broker can then distribute the message to another consumer.
    Downside: I have to incur the cost of shutting down and restarting the

2. I use SESSION_TRANSACTED sessions and call a rollback with the hopes that
the same consumer doesn't get the message again.

3. I can consume the message from the Broker and produce it back on the
Broker, at the end of its queue.
    Downside: The message goes back on the end of the queue. Not clean.

NOTE: I don't believe I can use Message Selectors because the I need my
filter criteria to be dynamic.

Is there any cleaner way?
If transacted sessions is the answer, will this hurt me in performance?