activemq-users mailing list archives

From mnishizawa <>
Subject Re: Suggested implmentation?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:20:24 GMT

Ok, so given the apparent ignorance of my last post, I will try to do a
better job of asking a more informed question.

I am now using the messaging system similar to the suggested design pattern
and I am encountering an issue with message persistence.  I think it may be
a problem of misunderstanding delivery modes.  I have set up my message
queues like nodes in a lifecycle where each has a listener or group of
listeners which perform the tasks for that stage of the lifecycle.

Stage 1 is pre-registration, collecting all the data from outside sources,
given the input, to perform the registration and posts a message back to the
queue when done
Stage 2 is performing the act of registration, posts message back to queue
when complete
Stage 3 is for all post-registration tasks

Each listener is using selectors to determine which messages it should be
picking up.  The broker is embedded into my code so when I start the broker,
all the specified listeners start up.

All of this works as expected, the problem is, even though I have
acknowledged the messages, when I restart the broker it processes all the
previously acknowledged messages again.

The deliverymode for all the messages I post back to the queue is set to
PERSISTENT in order to prevent messages from being lost in the case that the
broker goes down.  Am I misunderstanding the meaning of PERSISTENT here or
is this used properly?  Is there a way I can remove these messages that have
been acknowledged?  I assumed that this would be done automatically.