activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ale Sarco <>
Subject Re: 3.1 broker OutofMemoryError : unable to create new native thread
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:08:39 GMT

Hi James,

Using ActiveMQ 4.1.1 with Spring I experienced this "unable to create new
native thread" exception in one of my production servers last night. The
thing is that server does not has a large messaging traffic, it just send 2
or 3 messages every couple of minutes to another webapp running in the same
Tomcat, and this is only for 2 hours a day, and there were plenty of memory
available on the heap for that VM.
I agree that is probably related to the file descriptors that you mentioned,
because when I tried to log in to that server via SSH I got an error about
something like "insufficient resources". Only when I restarted the webapp I
was able to login again.
Now, what file descriptors is this about? Is a (logical) file created
somewhere every time a message is sent? If so, how do I avoid this problem,
I guess they should be reused or something?