activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help ! - Broker Hanging up
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 05:52:30 GMT
On 3/8/07, rabidgremlin <rabidgremlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> After digging around I found this link:
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/slow-consumer-handling.html
>
> Since I don't mind if I lose messages (they have a 30 sec lifespan anyway)
> it looks like I could set up a ConstantPendingMessageLimitStrategy to throw
> away messagse so I don't block.
>
> Should this work ?

Yes. The only other thing you might wanna do is set a low prefetch
value to avoid keeping too many messages around...
http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

This page is worth a read too
http://activemq.apache.org/my-producer-blocks.html

> I tried the following bit of code but it did not seem to make any difference
> (I suspect it is not correct):
>
>   broker = new BrokerService();
>
>   // no JMX or persistence needed
>   broker.setUseJmx(false);
>   broker.setPersistent(false);
>
>   ConstantPendingMessageLimitStrategy strat = new
> ConstantPendingMessageLimitStrategy();
>   strat.setLimit(50);
>
>   PolicyEntry polEntry = new PolicyEntry();
>   polEntry.setPendingMessageLimitStrategy(strat);
>
>   PolicyMap policyMap = new PolicyMap();
>   policyMap.setDefaultEntry(polEntry);
>
>   broker.setDestinationPolicy(policyMap);

The above looks good to me. Try the prefetch setting & usageManager
tweaks mentioned in the 2 pages I gave and retest

--

James
-------